Bircher Muesli- Overnight Oats Recipe
Bircher Muesli was developed around 1900's by Swiss physician Maximilian Bircher-Brenner for his patients and is still a very popular breakfast throughout Europe.
We have made some minor tweaks to this easy to make original overnight oats recipe that makes it even more delicious & healthy. Bircher Muesli is an excellent breakfast to keep you fuller for longer.
Preparation time: 10-15 min
- 2 cups of rolled or quick oats. We love the Scottish Oats for this recipe (available in any supermarket)
- 2 cups of milk (semi-skimmed or whole for extra creaminess)
- 2 apples- grated with the peel
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (fresh is preferred)
- 2 tbsp honey
- Optional extras (to make it nutty)- handful mix of flaked almonds, raisins, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries. (Tip- if you don't have flaked almonds, you can also use crushed almonds)
Tip- You can leave the night-before mix for 2-3 days in the fridge.
- 1.5 cups plain yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp of Clove Extract or you can use 1 tsp of 7 Spice Extract if clove is not your thing
- Optional: 2 Bananas and any seasonal fruit like Blueberries & Raspberries
- Put oats into a large bow
- Add milk, grated apples, apple juice, lemon juice, honey & nuts
- Refrigerate the mix overnight
- In the morning, add yoghurt & clove or cinnamon extract to the mix
- Mix well
- Serve in a bowl. Add slices of banana and fruits on the top
Tip: have this Bircher Muesli during lunch and you won't feel peckish all day!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Recipes
Moon Milk is a well-known Ayurvedic recipe to cure common cold, flu and fever. People also drink it regularly to help them sleep. Read More
Refreshing & energising homemade ginger beer to enjoy in any season Read More
An easy to make super tasty & healthy wholegrain oats pancake with immune-boosting Cinnamon Extract for all the family that will keep you fuller for longer! Read More