Soy Wax Candles with Neroli & Orange Massage Oil
There is something rather therapeutic about making your own products. Soy wax is simple to work with, easy to melt, and easy to clean up, these candles are a perfect choice for an afternoon project and a great way to spend some quality family time together. They smell great too!
What you'll need
- Soy wax, available at your local craft store
- PureXtracts Turmeric Massage Oil (choose from four different scents)
- Glass jar or container for your candle
- One wick, long enough to reach to the bottom of your container
- Wooden skewer
- A saucepan and a glass bowl, large enough to rest over the top of the saucepan
- Water (for the saucepan)
- Spoon for stirring
- Before you begin, ensure that the equipment is clean and that no dust or dirt is introduced. Contaminants can cause the candle to burn incorrectly.
- Tie one end of the wick to the middle of a skewer. Balance the skewer on the top of the candle jar and trim the wick so that it extends all the way to the bottom of the jar.
- Melt the soy wax in the microwave. Alternatively add water to the saucepan and bring it to a gentle boil over a medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the soy wax to the glass bowl and place over the saucepan. The water should not touch the top of the glass bowl when the top is inserted. Allow the wax to melt. Stir occassionally, but very gently - over-zealous stirring can introduce air bubbles into the wax. Don't let the wax get too hot but it should be completely melted a liquid.
- When the wax is melted, add the massage oil, stirring carefully with the spoon. Keep stirring until the oil is completely incorporated in the wax. As a guide, we would suggest using 80% soy wax to 20% massage oil.
- Let the wax cool a little. If you have a thermometer, the ideal temperature for pouring should be around 60 degrees.
- Carefully pour the wax into the candle jar or container. Re-adjust the wick if required.
- Cover the candle with a cloth or box and allow it to cool gradually in a room-temperature area.
- Ideally wait around 48hours before burning as this will give you the best results.